So, if you're here because I posted a link in Facebook....so am I. You can't advertise this kind of thing and then give up. Accountability is like that. I've already had a few people message me and ask about lessons and help....Like you guys, learning on my own can leave me questioning my life decisions. I think sometimes I'm left with an 'eff it' attitude when my project just won't behave....and as the bottom of that wine bottle starts to emerge, I just grab my phone and ball up on the couch like a normal, drunken human and try to forget the whole thing ever happened....Hello, YouTube...If I fail at actually DOING something, I can pop on and watch someone else succeed and feel like their win is actually my win. So there. Success!
This week I've been working on McCall's Shirtdress pattern 6696, which has been featured on Sian's (pronounced 'Shawn' for the rest of my fellow Americans) vlog, KittenishBehaviour, on youtube several times. You can check out one of her lookbook vlogs here and see one of her sleeveless versions. She makes it look gorgeous. I've been sewing for years and thought it was time I learn to make something more intricate that children's clothing. My daughter gets nice (maybe a bit of a stretch) clothing....soooo.....my turn.
I ordered both the size options for this pattern, since paper patterns are straight up idiotic. They have SO MUCH ease built in that you end up wearing a tent if you aren't careful.
Don't Trash It Tip:
Use finished measurements on the paper pieces to assess whether it will be a good fit for you. DO NOT choose your size based on the envelope. If you have a full bust larger than a B cup, start with the measurement on the envelope that is closest to your high bust measurement and then do a Full Bust Adjustment to match your full bust. Again....YouTube to the rescue.....FBA, SBA adjustment
This pattern comes with different cup sizes already built in, but again....check your finished measurements. Even though I would normally be a D cup, I still went with a C because of the finished measurement on the pattern pieces. The jury is still out on this one. I have some fit issues that I need to resolve, but it's not THAT bad....or maybe I just have low standards. Probably that.
So I made my muslin. The back is billowy. Parachute-esque, even. It had to go. So in a fit of inspiration and a leap-before-you-look moment, I folded my back pattern piece and shaved about 2" off the center. Not bad. I still have room in the back for movement. The yoke piece fits nicely.
I learned how to ease in a sleeve this week. Not the worst thing in the world, but damn...the whole time, I was watching Youtube vids and hoping I wouldn't jack it up...this video helped a lot. I like that she had the double basting go VERY far past where it says to on the pattern. It seems like it gives more fudge room (highly technical jargon there), because let's face it...not an easy technique. For a closer look and an even slower video I used this one right hur by Angela Kane. I like her voice.
Moving along, the pleats are standard. I only got 1 caught up in the sewing. If you say you've never done it before you're either a dirty rotten liar or you've never done pleats. Plenty of unpicking went on in this project, which is probably a sign that I need to slow my ass down. I can't help being excited...
I also learned how to construct a collar. I know, I know....doesn't this chick know anything?! Meh, not really. But I'm getting there.
Also, also....a button band. There's a first for everything ladies and gents.
The ONE big thing I did have a beef about was the waist band. After loads of searching for this and hoping for the inside construction picture (that I did not take either), and never finding it, I felt a bit deflated. My band was too short by about 3" total, and I was at a bit of a loss. Apparently, this is a common thing. As soon as I read that I felt a little more validated about not being THAT much a noob that I had missed something. So, if you do tackle this pattern, measure your skirt before cutting that band. In fact, I did the 16 and would just suggest cutting the WHOLE piece out and then cutting it down accordingly. Technically sound? Not likely....but it's SAFE.
So here's a token picture of the finished product....and I'm wearing some makeup so it's internet worthy. I'll have MisterFC take a couple of pictures of me in my new dress and see if I can get them up for you guys.
If you have any questions, throw 'em at me!
Word up, Sew-mies,
Sunday, March 19, 2017
Blog #2 - M6696
at 2:09 PM
I'm a jack of all trades hell bent on learning everything in my path and absorbing information whether it's pertinent now or not (eventually it will be). I have knowledge upon knowledge on lots of subjects, but not always enough to be considered intelligent. I'm a sewist who aspires to be a seamstress. My blog is my journey from sewing like it's a hobby to sewing like a titan of freaking industry. This is the mountain I'm currently tackling and I want to catalog all the screw ups for the next guy (gal)....If we're on the same path, and even if we're not, feel free to follow along and laugh